Monday, July 20, 2009

Getting Started

I tried blogging a few months back, but quite frankly, I wasn't ready. Not that you have to have a PHD in blogging to actually write a blog, but I didn't have the right mindset, the right direction, the right focus.

Really, there are two types of people in the world:
1) those who jump in the water with both feet, and
2) those who tipsy-toe their way into everything they do.

Of course, there are the self-starters who "make their own luck" and all that narcissistic boasting, but that's just insecurity misplacing itself for confidence. I don't think one way is better than the other...in fact, both mindsets are needed; I suppose the goal is to decipher when to jump and when to wade.

I say all that to say this (one of my favorite "redirectors" of all time) - I think I'm finally beginning to understand how social networking, be it blogging, tweeting, facebooking or whatever, can leverage your position as a person, friend, business partner, etc. Work is the most boring thing in the world to me, but for most people it isn't...since I live on this planet and it's important to others, how I choose to engage others in the workplace qualifies as an essential. Engaging with social mediums such as Jeff Fordable, then, is essential - not because it's going to make me a lot of money or produce a lot of friends - but because it builds character necessary to endure that for which I'm not necessarily gifted.

I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment